Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Vulnerability and Seeking Peace

The more I read in the news about different situations overseas and now this tragedy with Virginia Tech right in our backyard, I really feel the need to pause for a moment and just take in what a gift life really is. In spite of endless rainy weather, stressful group work, pointless assignments or any other reasons I would rather just stay curled up in bed and sleep through the day, I am really reminded of what a gift it is to have today- to be able to breathe and move and think and act freely. I can't find the original email I read, but I leave you with this reflection since it has the same idea.

To be Thankful For......
.....the mess to clean after a party because it means I have been surrounded by friends.....the taxes I pay because it means that I'm employed.....the clothes that fit a little too snug because it means I have enough to eat.....a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing because it means I have a home.....all the complaining I hear about our government because it means we have freedom of speech......the spot I find at the far end of the parking lot because it means I am capable of walking.....my huge heating bill because it means I am warm......the lady behind me in church who sings off key because it means that I can hear.....the piles of laundry and ironing because it means I have clothes to wear......weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day because it means I have been able to have an active day.....the alarm that goes off in the early morning hours because it means that I'm alive...

No comments: